- The Shoprite Group’s new cellular network, k’nect mobile, launches next month.
- k’nect mobile offers 100MB free data for three months, and flat call and data rates.
- Shoprite, Checkers and Usave customers will be rewarded with free data and airtime.
- And data is zero-rated for selected apps and websites in the Group’s ecosystem.
- Customers will earn extra if they are Xtra Savings members and recharge via the Money Market Account.
The Shoprite Group is launching its own mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), called k’nect mobile, offering competitive rates and several other rewards to customers. In a world where data access is a necessity, this move also means the Shoprite Group is now truly a one-stop-shop for its customers.
k’nect mobile’s key differentiator is simplicity, with flat call and data rates, and no complicated tiers. Airtime, data bundles and rewards only expire after 60 days, rather than the more common 30 day expiry.
Call and data rates are among the most competitive in the country:
- 50c per minute all day k’nect to k’nect calls
- 99c per minute all day calls to other networks
- 15c per megabyte for any size data bundle, up to 1GB
k’nect mobile also offers the following Xtra rewards:
- 10% free on recharge
- 10% Xtra for Xtra Savings card holders
- 5% Xtra when recharging via Money Market Account
- Double airtime rewards on Xtra Savings airtime deals
Users of products in the Shoprite Group’s ecosystem, such as Xtra Savings and the Money Market Account, also stand to benefit by signing up. k’nect mobile customers can, for example, expect free airtime, data or streaming content when swiping their XtraSavings cards at checkout.
Other rewards include early access to Computicket events and tickets, and 100MB free for three months (six months for Xtra Savings members), subject to in-store RICA and activation.
Importantly, customers using a k’nect mobile SIM card will also benefit from zero-rated data on selected Shoprite and Checkers websites and apps, including the Money Market Account, Computicket website and the Group’s jobs portal – all without incurring any data charges.
At the same time, the move will help the Shoprite Group streamline communication and drastically reduce its internal data costs. Its 141,000 employees are now able to receive communications directly on the Group’s internal app (called SiyaRinga) without the need to reverse data costs.
The network forms part of the Group’s financial services offering, which enables customers to conveniently pay bills, buy cell phones, make money transfers, buy airtime and data, lotto tickets, electricity and even funeral insurance in partnership with OUTsurance.
“k’nect mobile is part of our ever-growing suite of fintech products designed to better serve our customers. We’ve spent a lot of time understanding how a mobile network can add value to our customers’ lives, and our solution is an easy to understand network that offers straightforward call and data rates as well as tangible rewards,” said Jean Olivier, General Manager: Financial Services
The prepaid cellular network has partnered with digital enabler FREI One Digital, and piggybacks off the mobile network infrastructure of Cell C, whose roaming partnership with MTN provides award-winning coverage.