The Shoprite Group has opened 31 new stores – equating to more than one a day – during the month of September, creating 521 new jobs.
With more than 145 000 employees, the Group is South Africa’s largest private sector employer – a trend which is set to continue as it plans to open 275 new stores in 2023.
The makeup of these new stores is diverse and stretches across its various formats and brands – including Checkers, Shoprite, Usave, Petshop Science, Liquorshop and Little Me.
The new stores include among others:
- Checkers Uitzicht in Kraaifontein, Western Cape
- Checkers Boardwalk in Gqeberha, Eastern Cape
- Checkers Hyper Brookside Mall in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal
- Checkers Athlone Park in Amanzimtoti, KwaZulu-Natal
- Checkers Irene Boulevard in Irene, Gauteng
- Shoprite Avonwood in Elsies River, Western Cape
- Usave in Alicedale, Eastern Cape
- Usave Chiawelo in Soweto, Gauteng
- Little Me Table Bay Mall in Sunningdale, Western Cape
- Little Me Roodepoort, Gauteng
- Little Me Boardwalk Mall in Gqeberha, Eastern Cape
- Petshop Science Roodepoort, Gauteng
- Petshop Science Brookside Mall in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal
- Petshop Science Boardwalk Mall in Gqeberha, Eastern Cape
- Petshop Science Athlone Park in Amanzimtoti, KwaZulu-Natal
The Group specifically targets areas that have previously been underrepresented, and in doing so, will create new job opportunities for the surrounding communities. Physical area visits are conducted before opening stores, to directly inform which store to open under which of the Group’s various pillars.