The Shoprite Group is set to change the face of retail in Zambia with the opening of the new world-class store in the Woodlands/Kabulonga area.
The new-look Shoprite Kabulonga promises an unrivalled retail experience.
In addition to the new look, customers are being offered the best quality products at the most affordable prices, including:
- An extensive range of cured meats, cheese, wine, bread, fruit and vegetables from around the world;
- An improved range of convenience meals;
- A wider range of healthier products which include items that are sugar-free or contain reduced sugar or are diabetic-friendly; and
- Convenient opening hours from 8am to 8pm every day of the week, including public holidays.
“Since the Shoprite Group first launched in Zambia almost 24 years ago, we have demonstrated our ongoing commitment to this country and we continue to invest and grow our business here” – Charles Bota, general manager of Shoprite Zambia.
Shoprite Kabulonga employs 200 Zambian people, bringing the total number of people employed by Shoprite Zambia to 5 900.
“Once again we are growing employment in Zambia”– Charles Bota.
Shoprite also continues to increase its ever-growing local supplier base.
“In 1999, we were only able to source produce from 20 different Zambian farmers. Shoprite Zambia now sources 80% of its products locally and 85% of fruit & veg is produced locally”– Charles Bota.
Since Shoprite introduced Zambia to world-class shopping with the opening of its first Cairo Road store in Lusaka on 26 October 1995, it has grown to become the largest supermarket chain in the country.
As a business with heart, Shoprite also supports the communities in which it trades:
- Last year the first Shoprite Plastic Recycling Centre was opened in Chirundu, and the retailer continues to host regular community cleanup event across Zambia;
- Shoprite has also established a number of community food gardens – including at the Linda Open Community School and Chipata Open Community School outside Lusaka – in order to assist these schools with long-term, sustainable feeding schemes.
“Shoprite Kabulonga is our 36th store in Zambia and demonstrates our ongoing commitment to this country. Zambia is one of the Shoprite Group’s largest businesses outside of South Africa, and we are very thankful for the support we have enjoyed here” – Charles Bota