South Africa’s largest private sector employer, the Shoprite Group, created 409 new jobs with the opening of 16 new stores across five provinces in South Africa during the second half of April 2019.
This brings the Group’s total number of employees to more than 147 200 and this trend is set to continue with more than 50 new stores still scheduled to open by December 2019.
More than 1 billion transactions were processed at the Group’s more than 2 800 stores and it attracted an additional 2.4% customers during the 2018 financial year.
Positioned in areas not previously served by the Group’s supermarkets or in those showing strong population growth, the 16 new stores opening by 30 April are:
- Shoprite (Pretoria, Johannesburg and Soweto in Gauteng)
- Checkers (Edenvale, Gauteng)
- Usave (Jeffreys Bay in the Eastern Cape; Mamaila, Manapsane and Tubatse in Limpopo; Cedarville, Maluti and Ndwedwe in KwaZulu-Natal; and Soweto in Gauteng)
- Shoprite LiquorShop (Pretoria in Gauteng; Clanwilliam in the Western Cape and Estcourt in KwaZulu-Natal).
- Checkers LiquorShop (Edenvale, Gauteng)